In 1931, Bryan Flannery Sr. began his butcher career apprenticing under Henry Bercut of San Francisco’s Grant Market. At the country’s largest butcher shop, Bryan rose up the ranks to manage the full team of 60 butchers and 20 wrappers. During this time in the 1940s and 50s, Bryan was one of the only men in town importing French wines and became one of the first to introduce European produce varieties to the West Coast, such as Belgian endives and Italian treviso.
Following Grant Market’s closure and the introduction of supermarkets, Bryan Flannery opened his own namesake shop in 1963 in the Pacific Heights neighborhood, where he would go on to train his three sons in the craft of cutting meat. The Flannery family quickly gained a reputation for the finest meat in California and was often called on for special deliveries to Santa Barbara’s famed Biltmore Hotel and the state’s many esteemed winemakers.